|• “Low Culture Fever: Anxiety and Ambition in Chinese Comics After Mao, 1976-1983.” Genre Fiction in Contemporary China, and its Reception in the West, Centre for New Chinese Writing, University of Leeds, October 11 2019. ↩
“Chinese Literature in English Translation: Problems of Reception, Problems of Translation.” Invited guest lecture for CHIN 482A Translation’s Role in Chinese Literature as a World Literature, taught by Xiaowen Xu, UBC, June 13, 2018.
• “The “Arrival” of Jia Pingwa in World Literature: Translation and Interpretation.” Roundtable sponsored by the LLC Modern and Contemporary Chinese Forum for the MLA Annual Meeting in New York, Jan. 4-7, 2018.
• “The Passage of Mountains and Seas: Men and Beasts in Jia Pingwa’s Master of Songs” for the panel Traditions in Modern Chinese Literature and Cinema. Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association annual conference, Spokane, October 12-14, 2017.
• Invited roundtable for “Happy Dreams Global Launch Ceremony” sponsored by AmazonCrossing for the Beijing International Book Fair, August 23, 2017.
• “Zhang Shijie’s Fisher Boy: Transformative Nationalism in New China” for the panel Materia Manhuanica: Reading Chinese Cartoons, sponsored by the Huang Yao Foundation. Association of Asian Studies annual conference, Toronto, March 16, 2017. ↩
• “Future Perfect: Ye Yonglie and the Birth of Contemporary Chinese Speculative Fiction.” Invited guest lecture for ALC 157 Contemporary Chinese Popular Culture, taught by Micheal Berry, UCLA, February 16, 2017. ↩
• “Turtles All the Way Down: Dr. Fix-it, Mr. Wang and the Origins of Chinese Comics.” Invited lecture for The Asian Art and Visual Cultures working group, Townsend Center for the Humanities, UC Berkeley, February 3, 2017. ↩
• Invited Q & A session with Yang Chao, director of Crosscurrent, Berlinale Silver Bear winner for best cinematography, YC International and Cheng Cheng Films, Cineplex Silvercity Riverport, Vancouver, November 5, 2016.
• “Ming Dynasty Looney Tunes: Reading Sun Wukong as Cartoon” for the panel The Construction of Xiyouji in the Sinographic Cosmopolis and Beyond at the Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference, Seattle, April 1, 2016. ↩
• “Tan Zhongguo Dangdai Wenxue Fanyi: Zuozhe yu Jiyu” [The Translation of Contemporary Chinese Literature: Challenges and Opportunities]. Invited lecture for the Jia Pingwa Research Institute, Xi’an, March 19, 2016.
• “Manga Formosa: The Wild World of Taiwanese Comics.” Invited talk for the Centre for Chinese Research (CCR), University of British Columbia, February 29, 2016.
• “Lessons Learned: A discussion of a TA training program for graduate students.” Roundtable for the Society for Teaching in Higher Education (STHE) Conference, Vancouver, June 18, 2015.
• “Monkey Madness: The Many Faces of Sun Wukong.” Invited guest lecture for ASIA 342 Chinese Literature in Translation: The Vernacular Tradition, taught by Dr. Catherine Swatek, University of British Columbia, January 28, 2015.
• “Propaganda and memory in Li Kunwu and Philippe Ôtié’s graphic novel A Chinese Life” for the panel Resolving Cultural Identity in Comics at the International Comic Arts Forum, Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum at the Ohio State University, November 13-15, 2014.
• “Border Crossings: Transnational Flows in Contemporary Chinese Comics.” Asian Studies Graduate Conference, University of British Columbia, April 5, 2014.
• “Drawing the Jin Ping Mei: Adaptations and Retellings.” Invited guest lecture for ASIA 441B Masterworks of Chinese Fiction and Drama in Translation, taught by Dr. Catherine Swatek, University of British Columbia, March 31, 2014.
• “Lost in Thailand: Nanyang Journeys.” Invited guest lecture for ASIA 355 Global Chinese Cinema, taught by Dr. Christopher Rea, University of British Columbia, March 26, 2014.
• “English Language Translation of Nie Jun’s Searching for the Sea.” 7th Annual Undergraduate and Ronald E. McNair Research Conference, Portland State University, Portland, May 25, 2010.